Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Week 9 / Thing 21 Podcasts

I have used podcasts often to listen to NPR articles and programs I've missed (I see I'm not the only NPR junkie in this class).

I used EPN (Education Podcast Network) and found myself drawn to a long list of poets reading their works and giving lectures. As a self proclaimed poetry addict, this was the best! So now after listening to some old favorites and discovering a few new poets, I'm in a very good mood.

For the librarian, I found some booktalks by Nancy Keane. I think I have some books by her and have seen her at conferences. Just One More Book has hundreds of podcasts with a huge variety of titles. Again, there's more than I have time to explore.

Here's a funny one by Ms. Sanders called "I'm Bringing Vocab Back." For some local flavor, you can also visit Alaska Readers' Theater and hear Lake Hood Elementary School students (and more).

Podcasts can be found by searching the links RAW has provided or through itunes. I had fun looking at the top podcasts at the itunes store including Dilbert, This American Life (no surprise there), other NPR selections, The Onion, Discovery Channel and one called Grammar Girl. I think Grammar Girl would be great for HS and perhaps MS. She does a little advertising at the beginning of each one so be aware of this.

Podcasting can be used in any discipline with all ages. I see so many potential uses.

1 comment:

Andrea -- Just One More Book!! Podcast said...

Thanks for stopping in and for spreading the word about our show!