Monday, July 7, 2008

Week 7 / Thing 16: Wikis

I've been looking forward to this exercise because I do have some experience with wikis and I like them. I know I'm supposed to be learning new things, but many of the new things need more exploration and time than I have to really get a grasp of their usefulness. Wikis, on the other hand, I can talk about.

I browsed some of the wikis the RAW team suggested and found several of interest including Library Success, Blogging Libraries and Teacher Librarian (this last one created by none other than Joyce Valenza, sigh, what doesn't that woman do?). I'm looking forward to having time to really explore these resources.

I'm reminded that one of my goals this past year was to move my pathfinders to wikis. I'm not there yet; maybe this year. I did start a wiki for my student library aids to write book reviews. I hope to open this up to English classes and maybe the whole school this year.

Robin Turk and I created a page on a wiki about wikis for a presentation we did at Conference this year. (http://akaslweb2-0.wikispaces.com/Why+Wiki%3F)
Some ideas for using wikis at school include:

  • Find and summarize articles on the Internet.
  • Plan and post group projects.
  • Peer reviews.
  • Post Book reviews.
  • Collaborative writing, planning.

2 comments:

Ann said...

I think that the thing Joyce doesn't do is SLEEP! How else can she keep up?

Keep plugging away at the wiki thing. I have added a Google Calendar to the ASDLibrarians wiki. We will see if it is helpful at all.

Ann

Sharon said...

I think your desire to have pathfinders on a wiki are well founded. The first place our students think to get information from is the web. Wikis are one way to give us the opportunity to have those searches be more meaningful. Last year I started a wiki for pathfinders. It was nice to have everything in one place. As long as my students can remember the instruction sheet (with address and such) it can be accessed from home. My goal is to get a web page up on the school site and have a link to the wiki. I also want to add more pathfinders to the wiki this year.