Thursday, July 24, 2008

web 2.0: new tools, new schools Chapt. 9

WOW. Is this the future? I'm overwhelmed. I love the idea of teachers being able to choose from an infinite selection of products and not be tied to approved text books. I actually see is heading that direction with curriculum tubs, supplementary lists, more choices.

I'm interested in learning more about the idea of an electronic personal education assistant (p179) that gives suggestions for chapters and lessons to read and even pairs the student with another student. Gosh, that sounds a lot like what good teachers do and how would this epea be programmed to know the students' learning styles, interest level, eagerness to collaborate, etc?

Love the what if list on p 182.
What if a file-sharing network emerged? I've been borrowing from and sharing with my fellow educators for years. In the early days I retyped my mentors mimeographed handouts -think blue fingers, sharp fumes, the frustration of trying to erase, ah the good ol days.

What if we stop buying textbooks and use the money to provide access? As an old English teacher who hated those big ol' anthologies that cost $60 in 1989 (what do they cost now?), I love the idea of spending the money on tools and books that support student needs.

Professional development is so essential for all of this. And a quickie one-day inservice doesn't cut it. We need on-going prof dev that builds on what we're doing in the classroom and library, that helps us tweak tools to fit our styles and our students' needs, that checks in with us to see how it's working. Hey, this could be done online with web 2.0!

I love thinking about all this. It's a wonderful dream and I hope we can get there. There are so many roadblocks and yeah-buts. It sure is fun watching it all unfold.

1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

It is a wonderful dream, now we need to pick a couple of things and work on them. I go back and forth - should we all pick something different, or should we concentrate our efforts and all work on a couple of things. There are pluses and minuses each way.
Ann