Thursday, July 24, 2008

web 2.0: new tools, new schools Chapt. 7

OK, I just put on the blinders so that I can totally ignore that soap box with copyright written on it. I'll try not to rant or sound shrill.

Huge understatement on p. 139: "Copyright law is confusing." I think educators and students often try to sit under the umbrella of fair use, but forget that sources must be cited. For copyright to be taken seriously in the schools, it must come from administration. Librarians can preach until we are hoarse, but unless administration puts emphasis on ethical use of information, only those who want to will hear us. I can't tell you how many times I've refused to copy a video only to have the teacher just check out a VCR (wink, wink) or tell me just not to watch what they are doing.


Ethical behavior is one of the skills librarians try to teach our students and teachers, but it is so hard these day with the ease of copying and downloading. I like David Wallick's list on pp 147-148, but getting our patrons to read (or listen to) and apply these may not always be easy. OK, I'm preaching to choir I know.

I think Internet Safety is being addressed in ASD at the middle school with librarians
mostly leading and collaborating with teachers and other staff. At HS, it seems to be hit and miss.

I waver on blocking. I know that a determined student can get around the block. I know that good sites with valuable information get blocked and I know that much on the Internet can be distracting and inappropriate. I also know I don't have time to monitor students. I like the idea of a walled garden of safe web 2.0 tools.

I think our administrators need to read this chapter.



1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

Sharing the chapter with administrators is a great idea. As for the hit and miss of HS, I really think it needs to be every teachers job not just one persons job. At Wendler, my team teachers and I had the kids brainstorm lists of ethical and safe behavior that we reviewed and added to EVERY time we took the kids to the lab or started a new project. They heard it from all of us, in different contexts. If they only hear it from one person a couple of times, we really haven't done the job.

Ann