Sunday, July 6, 2008

Week 6 / Thing 13: Tagging

If you're like me and need remediation or extra help in Web 2.0, then here's another video tutorial for del.icio.us. As with some of these other tools, I had a del.icio.us account that I had forgotten about. I even have the buttons in my browser and have just been ignoring them.

I must say, I'm really excited about social bookmarking. My bookmarks on my browser are a mess, unorganized, outdated, hard to use. By adding them to del.icio.us, I can use them both at school and at home and organize them in a way that makes sense to me. I do see one area that needs some work and tha
t is tagging. I'm not consistent in my tags and sometimes I think I've added too many tags. I need to practice more with sorting and bundling. Have any of you bundled your sites? I'm trying it out with a bundle called YA lit. I think you can go to http://del.icio.us/suzmet and click on YA Lit on the sidebar to see my first attempt.

To create your own bundles, click bundle tags on this same sidebar. I think this will be one more way to organize and sort because I can group sites with more than one tag. Gosh, will the catalogers of the future be using tags instead of Sears to organize?

I also created network badge.

I also like browsing other people's lists. Here's a very cool site I found while browsing: Classroom 2.0. Once again, I got very off track because I found this site and had to spend and hour or so playing around with it. YIKES. And if you want to be so overwhelmed you have to just get out of your chair and go for a walk try the Go2Web2.0 directory. And off I go, I'll be back after my walk.

2 comments:

Ann said...

On the tagging thing, consistency is the key (which makes me feel doomed from the start) I worked hard to name my files logically, but I just don't always think of the same tags for similar items. Guess it will take more practice.

I love having the sidebar for my Del.icio.us bookmarks. Searching there makes me use the feature more and I am working on learning to tag more efficiently.

Ann

Library Livin' said...

I'm so excited to know that I wasn't the only one who wasn't ready to embrace del.icio.us in to my framework after some other class. Your description of "I forgot about it" was exactly what I did! I'm very excited about finally being READY. I'm ready because I actually need it now and see the value for me in my work to using my del.icio.us acct.

The tagging issue is a losing battle, I think. We are not always as reflective as we should be when we tag something - we're working for heavens sake and that can mean attention that is very divided/distracted. Of course there is that old promise of I'll come back and "clean things up later". Sure.