Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Week 8 / Thing 18: Online Productivity

I'm using GoogleDocs to create this blog post. I also played with Zoho writer. I can't tell you how excited I am to discover these online production tools. I will share these with teachers and students asap. In fact, this may be the first thing I share. I will be the hero(ine) of those kids working on projects together who are passing around a flash drive or sharing their passwords so they can work on the project that's only available in one student's elocker. I will make the students who do their work on the newest .x versions of microsoft products or that antiquated wordperfect or other obscure word processor, but can only open them on certain computers in the school. I will show them how they can share their documents with their teachers and fellow students so they aren't in the library panicking and asking me to write a note to Ms. So&So that they did try to access the document. I really can't wait to play more with these products. As far as I can tell, the two I looked at (Google & Zoho) both have all the tools one might need for school projects: a variety of fonts, color choices, numbering and bullets, spell check, tables.
Writing Tools Spreadsheet Tools
Presentation Tools Sharing
I made that table without using help. It's very simple, but was so easy to set up. I also looked at making a presentation. Here are 2 slides I made in about 5 minutes:


I can't tell you how easy this was. Just a couple clicks and I published this post to my blog. I'm doing a little happy dance this rainy morning.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I love google docs (I haven't played much with ZOHO since we use google docs here in the curriculum dept but several other students have commented on it) and I think it is right up there with Voice Thread and sliced bread for useful, cool, and oh yeah, usable.

Ann