Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Week 8/ Thing 19.1: Digital Pipeline

As an ASD librarian, I've been promoting, praising, pushing, and presenting the Digital Pipeline since it first arrived. Over the years, I've gotten more familiar with its many features. I use it quite a bit for personal and school searches. 

I like the new EBSCO interface and look. I especially like that you can click the box for full text in the results page and limit the list. Students ALWAYS forget to click full text and they just don't get the abstract concept no matter how often I tell them about it. It's frustrating to a student to click on a result and only get the abstract. I just noticed that the student research center interface hasn't changed that I can tell. Maybe I'll have students use EBSCO host instead. 

Is it just me, or does making all the search terms bold seem a bit too much. I'm sure EBSCO did this before, but I don't remember noticing it. I just did a search for "When the Rainbow Goddess Wept." It's our next bookgroup title and I like to send out reviews. When I click on the html full text, the bold print for the word "the" is really distracting!

I had forgotten about the journal alert feature. This is a great way to get a look at content, but I seem to remember the emails pile up in the inbox just like the print journals pile up on my desk. And I'm interested in far too many subjects to limit that way.

The Consumer Health link is down. I'll try again later. 

I watched the flash movie, but there was no sound (on Safari or Firefox) and I just couldn't stick with it.

I'll show my students how to use the folder feature and how to save their searches. I'll show them the various types of databases and talk about how to choose between them. I may steer them toward EBSCO host instead of student research center. 

1 comment:

Ann said...

I sent a comment to EBSCO relating to the lack of sound on the tutorial. I hope they do something about that because several people have commented on it. I also like the new interface a lot. it is such an improvement on the old one and makes the main interface so much more attractive to our HS kids (not to mention teachers). I think they intend to do an update to Student Research but I don't know when.
Ann