Sunday, June 29, 2008

Week 5 / Thing 11 Web 2.0 Winners

It didn't take me long to find a great website for my personal and professional selves. Biblio.com is not only a great place to find rare and used books, a biblioholic like me can spend hours browsing titles, reading articles in their online magazine called Biblio UnBound. I love poetry and it didn't take me long to discover the May 2008 edition was all about poetry. I appreciate the short articles and love the reading lists.

While browsing the list & clicking links I found VuFind, an online catalog & discovered Zotero. Zotero is
"a free, easy-to-use Firefox extension to help you collect, manage, and cite your research sources. It lives right where you do your work — in the web browser itself."
I haven't explored much, but intend to spend more time looking at this. I think it might be an excellent tool for students (and teachers) who have trouble citing sources, plus it offers notetaking and other research tools right from the website you are using. Here's the list of features:
  • Automatic capture of citation information from web pages
  • Storage of PDFs, files, images, links, and whole web pages
  • Flexible notetaking with autosave
  • Fast, as-you-type search through your materials
  • Playlist-like library organization, including saved searches (smart collections) and tags
  • Platform for new forms of digital research that can be extended with other web tools and services
  • Runs right in your web browser
  • Formatted citation export (style list to grow rapidly)
  • Free and open source
  • Integration with Microsoft Word and OpenOffice
  • Saves records and notes in any language
  • Integration with WordPress and other blogging software
  • Remote library backup
  • Advanced search and data mining tools
  • Access your library from anywhere via the web
  • Wide variety of import/export options
  • Recommendation engine and RSS feeds
  • Shared collections
I downloaded it (it is a Firefox extension) and plan to play around with this source some more and will report back. From what I can tell, you just click the zotero icon at the bottom of your window & you can then organize web based sources into libraries like in itunes or iphoto. Cool!




1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

Hmmm.... I'm in favor of anything to help keep the little darlin's from plagiarizing out of shear laziness... it does sound like a great tool. I wonder how different it is from google notebook???

Ann