Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Week 3/ Thing 7: Technology Rant

This post is in RED because I'm feeling FIRED-UP. I've been reading Joyce V's NeverEndingSearch. Her latest post concerns Britannica's "wikification." http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/blog/1340000334/post/330027833.html
I've got to rethink wikis and their purposes now. It sounds like Britannica is going to vet the contributors and maintain high academic standards. I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes and if a reputable company like Britannica can compete with Wikipedia. The key will be getting students (and teachers) to buy in.

So I'm reading this post and look over at the list of posts from Joyce and see a link to The Adventures of Super Presentation Man which of course I had to click on and this led me to watch the video about improving student presentations. I LOVE it and can't wait to talk some of our teachers into letting me work with students on improving their PPTs. Next, I scroll down this page and see this link, 100 Free Library 2.0 Webinars & Tutorials. Well, that was hours ago. (Our 23 Things are #6, so I could skip that one!) I only visit a few blogs regularly (see my side bar), but even if I just clicked on those once a day (which I don't) I wouldn't have time to do much else.

Which leads me back to my RANT. Blogs are wonderful things, but they sure do take up lots of time. I love reading about all these new tools, but how do you have time to learn about them, practice them, apply them and keep up with the 40 new ones that have arrived while your technological immigrant brain is still get the hang of flickr? I let students loose this spring on a bunch of web 2.0 stuff, but keeping up was very difficult and figuring out where different tools best fit is not always obvious. Not to mention convincing teachers to come on board. Whew.

3 comments:

Ann said...

You know, I haven't gotten a blinking thing done today on my full page list of things to do before Thursday so I hear you about the wonderful world of blogging. Good blogs are a fabulous tool but good grief, who has the time. I love Google Reader because I can find out which of my blogs have had new content, and preview it to see if I really want to take the time and with my widgets I can link to GR from my dashboard. How far I have come in just a year.

Both of those websites look fabulous but right now, I am just going to add them to delicious and make a note to look at them when I have time :-)

Keeping up with the Jones teenagers is a full time job for us digital immigrants and a lot of work. :-)

Ann

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

Suzanne: take a look at this article that Julie Doepkin sent to me. Some really interesting things to think about.

Ann

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200807/google

Aunt Books said...

Ann,
We get the Atlantic and I just read that article yesterday afternoon! Very interesting idea that the use of computers is changing the way we think, our ability to concentrate, etc. --suz